Also today, did the bulk shopping thing at CostCo. Only the United States could spawn such a store. There really is something slightly surreal about watching all these slow moving (in many cases - obese) people wandering through the aisles like cattle. I half expected a few of the people to “Mooooo” as I walked past (mind you I was one of them today).
Accompanying me on my descent into the orgy of consumerism were Paul and Roberta who had never met one and other. Paul got to take advantage of deals and we got to use his truck as a cargo vehicle. We quickly lost Paul as he got lost among the “bargains.” The next time I saw him an hour or so later the cart he had been wheeling which was empty when I saw him was now overflowing with all manner of bulk items. He had literally built a tower of goods in his cart! The two things we had forgotten to tell him were: 1. They only take cash or debit cards and 2. They don't give you bags of any kind!
Roberta had wisely brought a list with her which I helped her make her way through.
I was the impulse shopper. The end result of my trip? 2-pack of toothpaste, bulk packages of drier sheets (2), bulk fantastic, bulk windex, bulk package of Ivory soap, bulk clorox cleaner, bulk package of Kleenex, bulk bottle of antibacterial hand soap, bulk package of shop (read mechanics) hand soap (GoJo), a case of motor oil, (are we seeing a pattern yet?), bulk packages of batteries (various sizes), two big bags of potato chips, bulk package of Franks Hot Sauce (3-pack), a case of the Mocha Frappacinos.
Mainly dry goods and cleaning supplies. Paul was a little more adventurous and picked up meat there. Roberta picked up meat in the past but, I have to say I’ve walked by their meat case and it didn’t look too hot (if you know what I mean). I have a tendency to be real particular when it comes to perishables (dairy, fruits, fish and meats) and I think I’m better off going to a butcher or local store where I can see how fresh something is and have them cut it to my liking.
I also have to say I saw something on the news recently that confirmed my wariness of buying meat stuff in these places.
Anyway, if you haven’t been, it’s definitely worth going even if it’s only once just for the experience.
No comments:
Post a Comment